Thursday, April 14, 2011

I Am Waiting by Lawrence Ferlinghetti

The poem by Lawrence Ferlinghetti begins with these lines:
"I am waiting for my case to come up   
and I am waiting
for a rebirth of wonder
and I am waiting for someone
to really discover America
and wail
and I am waiting   
for the discovery
of a new symbolic western frontier" 
I believe these lines and in this poem he is trying to say he is really waiting for America to really rediscover its self as a whole again. Meaning that we need to discover our natural resource and use them to support our true "American Glory" like our passed americans instead of relaying on other countries for theirs. I think he feels this way because we was once a proud country that stood on its on and had moral values. But now in our society we have all been corrupted even in our govenment we  see our leaders mess use of there own power. Finally, Lawrence is waiting for a second coming which meant to me we the people of the RED, WHITE, BLUE and Stars should make a change and restore our country values and take back our government and live together in harmony and start to regrow our natural resources and rely on them and invent new ideas and inventions like we use to do instead of rely on other countries and get more in touch with our inner self and take back our religious beliefs and instill them.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, much of this can be said,but don't overlook the socio-political commentary; the poem wants to refresh, or rewrite, the stereotypical "myth" of America, and in this way is an act of critical consciousess (note in the quote above the play on teh "discovery" of America).. See my comments on Deborah Pena's blog

    ReplyDelete